Looking for the perfect gift to give your child’s teacher?
The events of this year have made it abundantly clear that teachers are essential to our communities running smoothly. Many early childhood educators have continued to work throughout the pandemic as their services are deemed essential by the State of Indiana. As schools have shut down and transitioned to virtual learning, many parents understand better now than ever before, the key role that their child’s teacher plays in their lives.
What better way to show your appreciation than recognizing their work with a small holiday gift? Showing how much you care doesn’t have to involve a lot of money! No matter how your family has been impacted financially by COVID-19, there is a gift idea here for you!
A Gift from the Heart
More than anything else, we recommended one type of gift: things that reflect the impact of their teacher’s work or the magic of their bond with children. Most early childhood educators work not for material rewards, but because they believe in helping our youngest community members turn into tomorrow’s leaders.
So, when they have the chance to hear from those who cherish their work, early childhood educators beam with joy. Plus, many say that they know how much great care costs families, so they don’t expect material gifts at all.
Here are a few ideas:
- A drawing, painting or another piece of art created by your child! And if your child has enough words, it’s a great idea to include what they say they love about their teacher.
- Several teachers share that a heartfelt reflection from you about the impact of their work can mean the world.
- Have your child create an ornament or other craft to give to their teacher.
No need to stress about creating a Pinterest-worthy gift, just make it personal and from the heart!
A Gift that Pampers
Want to encourage a hard-working teacher to take a moment for themselves? Consider giving a gift card or special treat based on how they like to renew themselves. The best way to find out about that? Just ask!
Here are a few ideas that teachers love:
- Gift cards for a coffee shop or a jumbo pack of Keurig cups are hits for the caffeine-fueled caregiver.
- Music or bookstore gift card make media-loving program staff happy.
- Hearty houseplants are ideal for teachers who make nature a regular part of their classroom plans.
A Gift that Helps Them Achieve Their Mission
Fun fact: Early childhood staff are incredibly committed to their work. And that means that they often pay for classroom materials and activities themselves.
Here are a few ideas:
- Many programs maintain a wish list for program materials – items from that can be great!
- Gift cards might allow a teacher to split the spending between themselves and their students. Think big box stores with craft supplies, learning toys and maybe a treat for teachers.
- A voucher for a team meal, if you’d like to give to the whole program – providers tend to get lots of treats around the holiday, but having a gift card for catering a team training or meeting can make their lives a little bit rosier throughout the year!
- If you’re at a larger program, the director or another teacher may have an idea for a book that the teacher would love – don’t hesitate to ask!