Juvenile Fingerprints and Consent Forms for Minors
Anyone assisting in a child care setting must be fingerprinted and do a consent form for background checks. This includes teenagers who are volunteering for educational purposes or working as a temporary staff member during the summer. Parents or guardians of a teen wishing to assist with child care will need to schedule fingerprints on behalf of their child and submit a background check run by the Sherriff's Department.
Juvenile Criminal History in Indiana
Follow the simple steps outlined below to complete the fingerprinting & consent form process.
(Step 1) Obtaining fingerprints for a minor:
- Using your computer web browser, go to www.identogo.com and choose Indiana.
- If you do not have access to the internet, you may call us toll-free at (877) 472-6917 to schedule an appointment. If you call, you will be asked the following questions instead of completing these steps yourself.
- Click Online Scheduling and choose the language you wish to use for scheduling (English or Spanish).
- Enter the child’s first and last name and click “go”.
- Choose your Agency Name as Criminal Record Review/Challenge and click “go”.
- Select the location where you want to be fingerprinted. Enter a zip code to get a list of locations in a specific area. Press “go”.
- Click on the words “Click to Schedule” across from the location you want, under the day you wish to be fingerprinted. If you want a date further in the future, click the “Next Week>>” link to display more dates. Once you select the location/date combination, select the time for your appointment and click “go”.
- Complete the demographic information page. Required fields are indicated by a red asterisk (*). When complete, click “Send Information”.
- Confirm the information. Follow the on screen directions to make any changes necessary. Once you see the data is correct, click “Send Information”.
- Complete your payment process and click “Send Payment Information”. The cost is $19.95.
- Print your confirmation page. If you provided an email address, you will receive an email confirmation as well.
- Bring one of the following with you to your fingerprinting appointment: Valid Driver License, Valid State Issued Identification Card, Valid Passport, Student ID with Picture and DOB, Work ID with Picture and DOB, Valid Alien ID card with Picture and DOB. If you do not have the above identification, you will need both a valid Birth Certificate and a Social Security Card.
- Arrive at the facility at your appointed date and time.
- The Enrollment Officer at the site will check you ID, verify your information, verify or collect payment, capture your fingerprints, and submit your data. This normally takes less than five minutes.
- You will receive a signed receipt at the end of your fingerprinting session
- All results will be processed and sent to the applicant/parent. L-1 is never in possession
(Step 2) Obtaining a Limited Background Check through the Sheriff's Department:
(Step 3) Completing a Consent Form on I-LEAD with the results from Identogo and the Sheriff's Department:
Once the fingerprints and the background letter is provided by the Sheriff's Department, the parent or guardian should fill out the juvenile's consent form on the child's I-LEAD account.
Please note that the steps are almost identical to the process of completing a consent form for an adult. However, on the Documentation section, there is an Upload button available where the child's background check from the Sheriff's department must be uploaded (Fig 1).
Upload Notes: To upload documents, please either scan or take a picture on your device and upload it to the appropriate section. Make sure anything on the file can be easily ready. If the file size is too big for upload, you will receive an error message. Make sure images are saved in "jpeg" or "pdf" format, are less than 100KB in size, and scanned documents are less than 300 dpi.
The Submit section or last page of the consent form is also different than an adults consent form. The parent or guardian will need to complete this section on the child's behalf to consent the release of the background information and approve their involvement with the child care program (Fig. 2).
If the consent form is submitted successfully, a message will appear confirming the submission and you will be re-routed to the I-LEAD Dashboard. The "Begin Consent Form" will disappear and the counter will reset and say "Current consent form expires in 364 days on...[the next expiration date]".
Please complete the annually required consent form 90 days before it expires.
Upload Background Check Letter from Sherriff's Department (Fig. 1)
Parent/ Guardian Signature (Fig. 2)